Sunday, February 26, 2012

2 weeks post-op

About two weeks ago I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder. It had been hurting me for about 2-3 years, maybe longer, and it had finally become such an issue that I had to have it fixed. I would wake up numerous times during the night unable to move my arm because it hurt so bad. I had already tried two cortisone shots and taken a total of about 6-8 months off from rock climbing and mtn. biking in that 2-3 year time span. So I really just needed to have it operated on and get it fixed. In talking to my surgeon he said that it would be about one month before I would be able to comfortably reach out and grab anything and another two months before I could mtn. bike ride, and yet another month after that before I could get back to climbing. So all in all about a four month recovery. I figured no problem, this is a great time to deal with that since I have no life during the credentialing program anyways. So a few weeks back I underwent the operation; a subacromial decompression. Basically, he was going to relieve the pressure on the tendon in my shoulder by shaving down the bone and smoothing out the tendon. That was two and a half weeks ago and I was on my mtn. bike today for about 2 hours! It was an easy ride at the Santa Rosa Plateau, but I was out riding for about half an hour when I realized that my shoulder did not hurt at all. So much for waiting three months to ride again. I think I will give it another few weeks before I hit the climbing gym just let it recover some more, but I am really amazed. I am completely pain free and sleep better than I have in years. So, if you need a good surgeon for shoulder injuries I have the guy for you! I would recommend him in a heartbeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment